{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

7.12.2010

Pre-Party Primping

When I was a kid, I used to love thumbing through my mother's college scrapbook. It was huge, and orange, and had a big lion on the front of it. She kept all kinds of mementos in there--cards from friends, letters from boyfriends, and silly photos of her and her girlfriends.

My favorite pictures were the ones of my mother and her roommate getting ready in front of the mirror together. Because it was the early '70s, there was plenty of frosted eye shadow, winged eyeliner, and juice can hair rollers. If I looked hard enough, I could probably find one of my mom bent over an ironing board to straighten out her curls.

These were the pictures that made me excited about going off to college myself, and now that those years are far beyond me, they are the moments I miss the most. Living with a man has its perks, but sharing hair tools and swapping makeup tips aren't part of the deal.

My boyfriend and I were invited to a wedding out of town this past weekend, so we shared a hotel room with another couple. I've gotta say, even more fun than the wedding itself was the time I got to share with my friend as we dolled ourselves up for a fun night out.

My friend Rachel's ridiculously beautiful long hair. It takes two complete sets of rollers to get all of it curled.


The blonde and the brunette; one straight, the other roller-set.
Like mother, like daughter. I'm always trying to get my hair as straight as possible.


What did I do before flat irons?

Ready for Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion!

1 comment:

  1. Haha this is too cute! a group primping session + lady chatter is definitely needed every now + then.

    ps - thx for your comment btw!

    pss - i'm so sorry to hear about your cake! I have no words for advice, but just know that it still looks way good enough to eat!! :)

    ReplyDelete