{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

7.29.2010

You Needa Granita

Want to know the recipe for the most refreshing summer dessert ever? 
I thought so.

Watermelon Granita
(but you can try it with any ol' fruit you like...peaches, blueberries, cantaloupe, strawberries...)


1/2 watermelon, rind and seeds removed (about 4 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups water
2 limes


Combine sugar and water in a saucepan to make a simple syrup, dissolve over low heat, and allow to cool. 

Working in batches, puree watermelon in blender until smooth.  Pour mixture into 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan then mix in the juice of two limes and the simple syrup. Cover with plastic and freeze. Stir the mixture after one hour, then return to the freezer for another hour before stirring again. Allow to freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Scrape and serve.

6 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that I would like to through some booze in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish! I've been wanting to make granita and I may have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Looks delicious and incredibly easy. Not to mention it takes advantage of healthy fruits which I don't usually get enough of. That would be perfect on a hot day like today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jenn, you totally read my mind! It's in my plans to make watermelon sorbet this week! I've never made granita, but they seem very similar. LOVE your post title: very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious!!!


    D E G A I N E

    http://www.fashiondegaine.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so delish and refreshing! There's a soft serve and slush place walking distance from my apt- the watermelon slush is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete