{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

8.03.2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

I'm not a tomato person. I've never flecked one with salt and eaten it like an apple. I don't slice them up and tuck them into sandwiches. There's something just too squishy about raw tomatoes. But I do love cooking with them. They impart sweet flavor and pretty color to every dish you throw them into. I love them roasted and paired with quinoa, pastas, and pizza.

But my hands-down favorite way to enjoy a tomato is sliced, battered and fried. And the only tomato capable of handling that treatment is this guy: the green tomato. Behold its glory.
I saw them at the Union Square Green Market last week and could not resist.
So I sliced them. And then I followed this recipe. It's from the Neely's. They seem like nice people and I trust their recipes when it comes to Southern-style cuisine.



They were perfect. Slightly spicy, slightly tart, perfect texture. But I made one huge mistake. Epic.

I didn't make any ranch dressing to dunk them in.


 

5 comments:

  1. I'm the same. I love cooking with tomatoes but cannot eat them raw. The texture upsets me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great!! But you're right about the ranch dressing! "Big mistake. Big. Huge." --(Vivian in Pretty Woman);)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.....can you believe I have never had a fried green tomato, and me being a southern boy and all that...yours do look wonderful, and ranch would have been nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always see green tomatoes at the farm stand and was quite sure what I could do with them, thanks for the inspiration! I love your fig picture, I have a fig tree in the backyard, if you have some recipes, I'd love reading them!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never tried fried green tomatoes but I bet they are delicious. I think I will give this recipe a try soon...

    ReplyDelete