So I was chatting with one of my clients yesterday, who mentioned that he had an HIV test earlier this week. I was sort of surprised to hear this, since he's been faithfully married for over 15 years. Here's a little snippet of our conversation. Don't worry; I'm pretty sure disclosing this information is within HIPAA regulations.
Me (Therapist): "So what prompted you to get an HIV test this week?"
Him: "Well, it's always a good idea to get checked out. But mostly, I did it cause they were giving away free turkeys at the clinic."
That's right, folks! It's the week before Thanksgiving, and everybody's got turkey on the brain. Except, of course, the vegetarians who have Tofurkey and nutritional yeast gravy on the brain. Before I head to my local A & P to battle it out for the last bag of Stove-Top, I wanted to take a minute to count my blessings for the week.
* This Andy Warhol inspired graffiti art. Pink flesh and jutting clavicles never go out of style.
* Having dinner Monday night with my 24-year-old kinda-cousin Carol (her great-aunt was married to my great-uncle. What this makes us, I have no idea). She's young and energetic and reminds me of myself when I was just getting started in the big city.
* Leisurely brunch at friend Bridget's house. That girl makes a mean strata. I'm considering asking her to sleep on my couch every Saturday night so she can whip up breakfast for me on Sunday mornings.
* This little kid skateboarding in a leather jacket and army pants in the Meatpacking District, presumably after brunching at Pastis or drinking Manhattans at the Gansevoort. Four years old, and already so much cooler than I could ever hope to be.
* A surprise trip from my boyfriend to Halo/Air Salt Rooms, a spa-like atmosphere that replicates naturally occurring salt caves in Eastern Europe. The room is covered from floor to ceiling in salt, while tiny salt particles are blown into the air. The rooms are supposed to be good for respiratory problems and skin conditions. Plus, it was just cool and relaxing to chill out in there for an hour. And yay! We're going back on Sunday afternoon! I love groupon--they have the coolest deals on things we would likely never try otherwise.
What's been the highlight of your week, peeps?