{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

1.31.2011

This Month's Delights: January

On the last day of every month, I'll post my highlights of that 28-31 day period. Today, I'm posting about January cause--thank God almighty--it's just about over. I'm not a winter fan, and the quicker the cold months pass us by, the better. 

January is the month of do-overs. It's the time to start diets and pay off last year's debts. It's when we close the chapter on one year and usher in the new one. Here in the northeast, we've begun 2011 fresh, and clean and white. Once this month is good and gone (aka: tomorrow), one of the only things that will truly stand out in my mind about January was how damn snowy it was. 

Growing up in Texas, snow was about as foreign as guys named Vinny who speak with Queens accents. Sometimes I still can't believe I live in a place that truly experiences all four seasons. Or live with someone named Vinny with a Queens accent.

I've learned over the past 11 years that snow is really quite fun. It can bring out the childish spirit in anyone and is the one time it's appropriate for adults to say they're "going out to play".

It can also make an ordinary place look like a storybook cottage. A dust of snow along a roof or a railing instantly gives a house character and charm. Snow is the British accent of the weather world.

It gives women a reason to dress up in their most glamorous coats and scarves.

And little girls an excuse to hold each others' hand.

 It gives your bag of pretzels a renewed sense of purpose.

And allows the city's benches to take a long winter's nap.

In January, little boys have license to throw unlimited snowballs.

And big boys are allowed to slam opponents into plexi-glass walls. 

But if you want to know the real truth of it...January has not been such a great month for me. There have been misunderstandings, and anxieties, and more than one loss that could have been prevented. Into every life a little snow must fall, I guess.

Thank heaven for comfort foods...
like rich, creamy soups...

 copious amounts of coffee...

and warm apple-walnut pie.

So on this last night of January, I'm stopping to reflect on the good and bad of the past 31 days...

and dreaming of a colorful spring.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking me along on this Winter photo journey. I smiled about being form Texas, a Queens accent and guy named Vinny too. Beautiful.

    Stay warm.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! I love the first photo and the pic with the little girl and her amazing purple scarf and dress! Here's to February!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos. Also love the "British accent" comment....excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot get over that picture of the car completely snowed in, yikes!

    I'm so not fan of the cold, but at least we didn't have snow like this in Athens!

    Gorgeous photos Jenn! Thanks for sharing!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful collection of memories and photographs. I just moved to Texas this fall, and I've been missing my snow. I'm glad I got to experience it through your stunning pictures. Thank you for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous photos! You really do look at the world with a sense of wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope Feb is already looking up. If I'm honest 2010 was not my best...crossed fingers for 2011!!

    ReplyDelete