{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

5.16.2011

Cornmeal-Crusted Ratatouille Tart

Can I ask you a personal question? We're friends, right? So I was just curious; do you ever talk to your food? I'll go ahead and assume that you talk to your flourishing herb garden (cause everybody talks to their plants, duh) but what I really want to know is if you ever have a little chat with a bowl of Cocoa Puffs or a big turkey sub before taking them down. 

I ask because lately I've been catching myself engaged in conversation with inanimate objects around my house, and generally, they are the ones about to take a dive straight into my mouth. I mean, is it really so weird to say "Come to Mama" to my morning coffee or whisper "Why you so good to me?" into silky ribbons of creamy pasta? Am I a total oddball for winking at a tray of freshly baked cookies or kissing the top of a cupcake before bidding it adieu? On second thought, don't answer that.


Anyway, I was quite pleased with the results of Ellie Krieger's Cornmeal-Crusted Ratatouille Tart and  borrowed a few Justin Bieber lyrics to express my delight as it hit the plate. It went something like, "Baby, baby, baby, ohhhhh, baby."


It began with roasted eggplant, zucchini, shallots and tomatoes and ended with a cornmeal crust made crisp in a tart pan and topped with pillowy dots of goat cheese and a dust of basil. "Baby, baby, baby, nooooo baby..."


I dug it so much, I tried another variation a few days later by topping the crust with sauteed eggplant, yellow tomatoes, fresh basil and goat cheese. If you're expecting this to taste like pizza, you'll be disappointed. Also, you may not want to  serve it to guests, since the crust crumbles pretty quickly and looks prettier in one piece than in individual slices.

 Still, if you make this, I have a strong feeling you too will be singing its praises. Whether you choose Justin Bieber lyrics to express your fondness or not, you will receive no judgment from this gal.

By the way, anyone else sweet talk their meals before eating them? Please tell me I'm not alone here. 

12 comments:

  1. You are certainly not alone. I talk to my loaves of bread all the time. And I certainly would talk to this tart! I'm sorry I have been so absent these past few weeks. It has been so good to return to you and your lovely blog! Thank you for sharing with me tonight. I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, hehe. You have me laughing. I barely have time to chat with my food before I devour it! This recipe looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this looks so lovely. thank you for sharing this with us and have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha --- I definitely sing my praises to a delectable dish! This looks amazing ~ can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the contrary, I don't talk to my food ENOUGH - thus, the gap in our relationship. It will be quickly rememdied, I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! I love the way you write! And so what if you croon to your dinner? Who's gonna judge you for that!? Not me, I say.

    That looks gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I talk to my food (and myself) all the time. I don't think it's a problem unless your food starts talking back to you, lol! That dish looks yummy. I've been trying to find more tasty ways to cook my veggies, so thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your posts, Jenn. You always make me smile. Now I feel like I haven't given my food the attention it needs before I devour it. I promise to try to change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful....and looks delish. I humm and sing in the kitchen like a pyscho. people do weird things while they cook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice blog. These pictures are great ^^. If you want, you follow my blog and I'll follow you too :D
    Alla moda e con stile

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really a good looking tart. I'd love to have a piece of it. This is my first visit to your site. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds wonderful, I love the idea of a cornmeal crust on a savory tart. Genius! The nice big slices of zucchini are looking pretty tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete