{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

8.08.2011

Raw Kale Tuscan Salad

My relationship with kale had a slow build with long gaps between dalliances, much like Sienna Miller and Jude Law or Lindsay Lohan and sobriety. For many years, I thought the only purpose for kale was to line the bottom of catering trays; it looked so rough and tough I couldn't imagine it was edible, let alone tasty. Boy was I wrong.

Kale is good, folks. Really good. And not just good for you. It tastes good too. It might even be on one of those superfoods lists alongside blueberries and salmon. 


My friend Jen introduced me to cooked kale and my friend Kerri introduced me to eating it raw. She served it as a salad with shaved parmesan and olive oil, and it was such an earthy, hearty combination I was instantly smitten. This salad from my favorite cooking website 101cookbooks is pretty darn similar and it is incredibly tasty. The sharp pecorino, bright lemon juice and crunchy breadcrumbs really downplay the bitterness of the greens. I highly recommend you give it a try.


Raw Kale Tuscan Salad

1 bunch Tuscan kale (for ex: black or lacinato)
2 handfuls homemade coarse breadcrumbs 
(I toasted bread in the oven, then ground it in a food processor)
1/2 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup (or a small handful) grated Pecorino cheese
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix all and enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I've just discovered my love for kale salads this summer! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kale too! I wonder if I can get my husband to eat it raw :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a kale virgin. There, I've said it. I've heard others go on and on about the virtues that is the mighty kale but haven't gotten up the nerve to give it a shot. Your salad looks and sounds wonderful. Perhaps I'll finally take the plunge. :)

    I'm so glad I just happened upon your blog. Love your sense of humour and look forward to trying out some of your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete