It is common knowledge that Angie hates onions. That's a hard one for me to wrap my head around, as onions simmered with garlic is one of my all-time favorite ways to begin any dish. Angie's always considered me an adventurous eater, and was pretty surprised when I mentioned that I have plenty of foods that I hate too. The list is long, and exposes a few of my neuroses.
* Anchovies and sardines (swimming salt bombs)
* Cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream
* Black licorice (red is tolerable, but would never be chosen over chocolate anything)
* Anything mayo-based like potato salad, chicken salad (all I can picture is a big bowl of potato salad festering out in the sun at a summer bbq. Makes my stomach turn).
* Canned tuna (I've actually never even tried it because I'm so turned off by the smell. Also, the act of opening the can reminds me of opening cat food).
* Raisins (grape rejects)
* Capers (Dad calls them 'rat turds'. Not getting past that association).
* Scrambled or hard-boiled eggs (fried is the only way I like 'em)
* Any and all organ meats, pate, foie gras (blech)
* Pretty much any canned vegetable (the texture is just mush)
* Raw oysters (my Gulf Coast daddy used to basically force-feed me these as a child and I am forever scarred).
* Most things that are pickled
* Cooked carrots (but love 'em raw)
* Raw tomatoes (but like 'em cooked)
When I connect the dots, it's easy to see that texture is a huge factor for me as most of the items on my most-hated list are soft and mushy. When it comes to flavor, anything too salty seems to turn me off.
What foods trigger your gag reflex?