{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

1.13.2012

They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat

Some kids grew up with comic books. Others loved make-your-own adventure tales or series like Sweet Valley High.  Kids these days read off electronic tablets, but when I was growing up, my absolute favorite thing to read were newspaper columns.


Lewis Grizzard's column, to be specific.

I realize that a lot of you probably have no idea who this guy was, but if you lived in the southern region of the U.S. in the '80s and '90s you just might. I borrowed today's title from him. (He doesn't mind; he died in 1994).


Lewis Grizzard was a Southern humorist who wrote a syndicated column about the daily thrills of American life, like Dave Barry with twang. He was a 40-something-year-old guy who mostly wrote about Georgia football, his three divorces and a dog named Catfish, but for some reason, my pre-teen self was completely entranced by his writing. It was full of bubba-isms and and was pretty sarcastic, but every now and then he'd produce a line that was so damn pretty it made your heart feel like it would cannonball out of your chest.

He didn't muck up his writing with lots of frilly language or needless pretension. His essays were simple and they were honest, and they made me want to be a columnist long before there was a girl named Carrie on TV.


If you'll indulge me a bit, I'm going to change the direction of this blog. I've always been a little unclear of my focus on here and I think I have veered off course, which has definitely led to reduced posting. I've really lost interest in writing about food and frankly, am not nearly as good at it as the other 40,000 food bloggers on the web. I can't remember the last recipe post I did on here and my dinner photos are always plum ugly. If this news disappoints you, I can refer you to literally hundreds of phenomenal recipe blogs.

I would like to use this space to get back in touch with the kind of writing I grew up loving to read. Simple, honest stories about life. Stories and pictures about summer camp and best friends and little brothers. Funny little essays about New York City that highlight the daily ups and downs of living here. I think really focusing on the writing will help me enjoy doing this again, as opposed to feeling obligated to post something just to keep it going.

Hopefully I won't muck it up with too much frilly language or pretension. Just promise me you'll let me know if I do.

8 comments:

  1. Exciting, can't wait to see what's in store! And I hate frilly language, so I'll let you know if you're getting close ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, exciting stuff Jenn... either way, I'll still love any food shots you've taken on outings in NY or anywhere!

    I also loved reading from a book or newspaper when growing up... I still find it a little bizarre holding onto a tablet or kindle. Print copy rocks!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are my favorite posts, anyway! And I totally grew up on Lewis Grizzard. My dad was a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who works at a newspaper...go newspaper columnists! Print will never die!
    I loved reading the paper when I was younger, which led to me writing a column in my teens, which led to me now working full time at the same newspaper I grew up loving.

    I can't wait to read more NYC stories. They're my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love reading "writing"! Just do what you feel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have been reading this blog for about a year, and my very favorite post is the one of the mermaid parade. i love the stories and pictures that are taken from your vantage point. you have a real knack for telling stories in a real and humorous way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha THANK you...it's actually just an old wagon wheel cemented to the driveway outside my grandparents cabin in Midway, UT. I'm just lucky enough to have had grandparents with cool taste:)

    ReplyDelete