{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

6.28.2010

What I Made Last Night: Butternut Squash Ravioli

The first time I tried butternut squash, it was a defrosted puree version from a freezer-burned paper box. Needless to say, I wasn't blown away by the muted orange mush that came out of it. I knew there had to be more to this popular winter vegetable than its amusing phallic shape.

Butternut squash has since become one of my all-time favorites and though it's definitely at its finest in the fall and winter, its versatility and all-out tastiness makes it a year-round staple for me. Most of the time I serve it with sage or rosemary as a side dish, or swirl it into a creamy risotto. But last night I discovered my favorite use for it--Giada's recipe for homemade butternut squash ravioli.

 Oh Giada...why you so good to me?

Once the squash is roasted (about 30 minutes) toss it in a food processor with 1 cup of ricotta cheese.

Don't hate on my 1962 food processor. Vintage is in.


Throw in 4 crushed amaretti cookies. I fully advocate for any recipe that 
includes cookies. Blend squash, ricotta, and cookies till smooth.


Now for the labor-intensive part. Using wonton wrappers, roll up the filling into cute little 
packages. The recipe calls for a different shape altogether, but I found that folding them in half and crimping the edges to be easiest. Use a pastry brush dipped in water to seal the edges.


Right before boiling the ravioli, whip up a little brown butter sauce. A little nutmeg, a 
little sage, salt and pepper. To finish, I threw in walnuts for crunch and currants for a touch of sweetness. 


Boil for 4 minutes. They're ready when they float to the top.


Victory is mine! I was expecting them to burst in the water and 
send squash flying all over my stockpot. 


Grate a little parmesan over the top and enjoy!!


recipe found at: foodnetwork.com   Photos by Jennifer Poole

No comments:

Post a Comment