{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

1.11.2011

Black Bean Tamale Pie...and a birthday

Today is my best friend's birthday. Her name is Callie, and if you don't know her, she is lovely. We grew up together in Galveston, TX and have maintained a friendship for almost 25 years. Despite the distance--she lives in Los Angeles; I live in New York--our friendship has outlasted awkward phases, jobs, apartments, and boyfriends. We were friends before we wore bras, back in the days when cameras required film and we wrote good old-fashioned letters instead of emails. 

Cake is traditionally served on birthdays, but I'm choosing to toast my friend with pie--black bean tamale pie. We live on the east and west coasts now, but Callie and I will always be Southwestern to the core. For us, comfort foods are the ones with cumin and hot chilies and freshly fried tortilla chips--the kinds of foods our mothers cooked for dinner or we had delivered late at night to our college dorm in Austin. 

This one fits the bill and I think she'd love it. I think you will too!




                        Corn & Black Bean Tamale Pie

Kernels of 4 ears fresh cooked corn (2 cups)
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup masa harina
1 can (16 oz) creamed corn
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained (I used one can of white beans instead of black)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
½ tsp oregano
¼ cup tomato puree
1 can (4 ½ oz) diced green chilies
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)


Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 7 by 11-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Puree corn briefly in a food processor. Combine pureed corn, stock, masa, creamed corn, baking powder, and butter in a bowl. Set aside. Combine black beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, tomato puree, and green chilies in a large bowl. Spread two-thirds of masa corn mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish. Layer bean mixture and cheese. Top with remaining masa corn mixture. Bake one hour. 

{Backstage at our first dance recital.}

{All grown-up in NYC.}

Happy birthday and many kisses, Callie girl. This is gonna be your year. Hope you're out eating chips and queso somewhere in L.A. 

10 comments:

  1. awww you guys are too cute and so lucky to have a friendship that many will never know! Happy birthday to your long time bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures. I remember Callie- Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... you guys are so cute! I guess I need some new friends because I always seem to be the one doing the cooking, lol. Also, that tamale pie looks amazing.


    Kendra
    http://closetconfections.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet post on your bff... the both of you look so cute .. happy birthday callie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy b-day to your bestie! That looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your sweet best friend! You girls are adorable...now and then. I love how you made a tamale pie in her honor. Austin would be proud! Thank you for sharing this with me! I hope you have a wonderful afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmmmmmm, that looks excellent! And happy bday to your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great photos and a sweet post! I do think I would love that pie...sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy pie and I really like the design of that card. I like the circle idea a lot.

    Just Better Together is having a $25 gift certificate giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww you girls are so cute. Happy Birthday to your friend, Callie. The tamale pie looks amazing. Good to know you are a Southern girl with good Southern recipes because it's something I need to experiment more with.

    ReplyDelete