{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

1.05.2011

Citrus-Glazed Mahi-Mahi with Sesame Spinach

My boyfriend hates seafood. This troubles me, and I'll tell you why. Fish is delicious. Shrimp are divine. Scallops are scrumptious. He's a fine person, but I question his taste level, frankly. At least in food anyway. His taste in women is top notch. But I digress...

Whenever Vin has to work late and will be missing dinner, he'll shoot me an email during the day exclaiming: "Fish night for Jennie!". Today, I received such an email, and this is what I made. 

Citrus-Glazed Mahi-Mahi 
(serves 2, or 1 hungry person with a seafood-hating partner in his/her life)

* 2 pieces Mahi-Mahi (I used frozen Mahi-Mahi from Trader Joe's, 
and was thoroughly impressed)
* juice of 1 grapefruit (you could also use orange)
* juice of 1/2 lemon (or lime)
* 1 tbsp dark Tamari soy sauce
* 1 tsp minced ginger or 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
* 3 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper

Let fish marinate for 10 minutes in sauce, then cook on grill pan approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.

For the spinach, I sauteed in a mix of olive and sesame oils, threw in a bit of minced garlic and ginger, then topped with sesame seeds. I piled the Mahi and spinach on a bed of plain couscous.

11 comments:

  1. Me and Vin are in the same seafood haters boat...or maybe not boat...let's say hovercraft. The only fish I'll eat is a coconut and batter-covered shrimp...with lots of dipping sauce to hide the taste of the shrimp. But hey, this sauce sounds like it would work with pork maybe? I like pork. I'll be over here in the pork hovercraaft if you want to join me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Mahi fan, but this might convert me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pork hovercraft? Oh Shannon. You so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boyfriend doesn't like fish? Horrible! I understand though, I didn't like fish until after I graduated college. Maybe it will grow on him also.

    This dish looks awesome, And I love that the fish is topped with sesame spinach, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how some people have such a strong distaste for seafood? My best friend is like this, and it makes me sad because I enjoy it so much! Thank you for sharing this delicious mahi mahi recipe, and thank you for your kind words on my blog. They mean so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that plate looks absolutely elegant! i have this bookmark already:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh....yum!!! This looks amazing and healthy and gourmet. Come and cook me dinner would you. You can be my personal chef and I will pay you in teddy grahams and it will be just fabtastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if you were my neighbor, I'd invite myself over for dinner.

    Just Better Together

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks great. I am looking forward to trying it. Just found your blog. Love reading over your posts!

    ReplyDelete