{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

7.01.2010

Reading Recommendation

Have you ever been reading and found yourself thinking, "Good Lord! This book is so good I just...I just wanna EAT IT!" No? Just me? Well, the book I'm currently reading--The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver--has me so completely engaged I just can't get enough of it. I don't want to just read this thing; I want to clutch it to my chest and rock it to sleep at night. I want to dip it in candy coating and serve it at my next party. I don't want to reveal much about the content, but the general theme is deciphering the importance of passion versus security in a relationship, laid out in alternate-reality, Sliding Doors fashion. The plot and the pacing are perfect and the writer is so unbelievably talented it makes me want to hog-tie her till she tells me all of her secrets. 
I'm not finished with it yet (it's 500 pages, for crying out loud), but I'm savoring the final 150 like they're the last two bites of chocolate mousse pie.  It takes a lot to make me look forward to a 45-minute subway commute, but somehow, thinking about propping this paperback on my knees actually makes me crave my ride to work. Now that's a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment