{stories and snapshots from my new york city life.}

8.24.2010

Just for Fun...

Blogging is fun. I go about my regular life, take some pictures, write a few pithy captions and share it with others.  Know what else is fun? Good old-fashioned validation! I got some this week when a new blogging friend, AG from Other Than the Weather, dubbed me a recipient of the "Versatile Blogger" award. Thanks AG!

Know what's super fun about winning that award? Winners are encouraged to share seven interesting facts about themselves, thus fulfilling my need for validation while simultaneously indulging my narcissism. Enjoy!

1. Whenever a fast song comes on my Ipod, I visualize myself dancing in a video. When a slower tune comes on, I picture myself with a guitar strapped across my chest singing in a Village cafe. When the Fraggle Rock theme song pops up, I turn  the dial away from other subway passengers so nobody knows what I'm listening to.


2. I moved to New York City from Texas when I was 22. I stayed in a hostel for a week, found roommates, and moved in three weeks later. The only things I had were two duffel bags filled with clothes and a big silver clock from IKEA. Eleven years later, and I can't believe how much I've accumulated (friends included)!

3. I sorta regret never dying my hair a wild color or piercing something more interesting than my ears as a teenager. I never had a wild phase, and I feel like I let an opportunity pass me by.

4. I've had better tasting meals than chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, but none that have ever brought me as much comfort or nostalgia.

5. I rearrange something--furniture, shelves, dressers-- in my apartment at least once a month. I have done this since childhood. It drove my mother crazy then, and I think it drives my boyfriend crazy now.


6. Forgive me for saying so, but I miss the days before the invention of the cell phone. As convenient as they are, I feel like the next generation of humans will lack proper etiquette and communication skills because of them. Don't get me started on texting. I hate it!

7. I made a career switch from magazine writing to clinical social work two years ago and it was the best decision I've ever made. I could go on for hours talking about how much I love the work I do, but I feel like people would get annoyed or bored hearing about it!



In the spirit of paying it forward, please check out my choices for great, versatile blogs:








4 comments:

  1. Aww, thankyou! I'll do this later! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing woman you are! I'm in Texas now (Austin) and I hope to move to NYC once I finish my mfa program. I love your blog, and I look forward to many more posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your award! That's exciting. It's nice to read those interesting facts about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the award!
    I so agree with #1. I visualize the exact same things! :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete